Monday, January 27, 2014

Hello!

Hi family! This week was good. There were definitely a lot of ups and downs. But let's focus on the ups, yeah? Sister Salabao has decided to stay. That's definitely good. Also, we had the chance to go on exchanges this last week. I was with Sister Bruening. She's a Russian speaking sister. Which makes me so sad because it probably means I will never be her companion. But oh my goodness, I think she is one of the most amazing missionaries I have ever met. My day spent with her was probably one of the best days I've ever had as a missionary. We literally talked with everyone. We spent all day long outside testifying to people and it was just swell. We didn't even get into our car until 4:30. And we only took a ten minute dinner break because there were just too many people to talk to. We had an amazing district meeting that really inspired us. We were challenged to extend the baptismal commitment at least five times that day and to ask for referrals from everyone. It was great! By the end of the day we were talking to people who willingly gave us their phone numbers or who invited us to come back a different night. We saw SO MANY miracles. We were just in shock. I know it's because Heavenly Father saw how dedicated we were to sharing the gospel. And He placed individuals in our path who were ready. It was just so incredible. I want everyday to be like that day. And it definitely can be if we show Heavenly Father how dedicated we are to sharing His gospel. I'm really grateful for Sister Bruening.
This weekend we had Stake Conference. Elder Robert M. Call and Elder Bruce D. Porter of the 70 came and spoke. It was incredible. We were invited to the Saturday night session of Stake Conference and it was all about missionary work and how we NEED to reach out to those around us. It's our responsibility. Have you heard of the book The Power of Everyday Missionaries? You should read it. I'm going to read it when I get home. Anyway, the spirit was just so strong during the two meetings. There is no doubt in my mind that the gospel is true and that we have a prophet of God who leads our church. The Priesthood is real. I'm just so grateful to be a member of this church.
So, a few stories from this last week. One night this week we went to this lady, Sanait's home. She knows a member from the ward so us missionaries helped her move last week. To thank us she made dinner for us. It was all Ethiopian food. They don't use utensils. They use this sort of flat pancake bread stuff and grab their food with it. Surrounding the table there was my companion from the Philippines, the elder from Tonga, their friend from Iran, and then the Ethiopians. It was pretty cool. The food was so gross though. Some of it was really spicy. And then there were intestines.. oh my goodness. Elder Fifita (the Tongan) loved them. The juice/sauce stuff they were in had soaked into the bread and I almost threw up when I tried to eat it. But you would have been so proud of me. I ate most of it anyway, even though I was dying a little bit inside. I've become a lot better at eating things I don't like. I guess I can thank the Samoan ward for that. For real, though. Since being on my mission I've eaten Vietnamese food, Samoan food, Ethiopian food... just very diverse.
Also, another funny story I thought you'd appreciate. I was completely attacked by a German Shepherd. I'm not lying, I really thought I might die. It was probably the most scared I've ever been as a missionary. Okay, so there's this lady named Pat that we met one night tracting. She said she was too busy to talk to us but we said a prayer with her and sang to her. I felt like we should go back and see her yesterday. She's really sweet. She lives all alone and she has two dogs. They're both super obnoxious, though. I hate them. She put them in these little kennel things and then invited us in. They were barking and being really loud so she decided she was going to put the German Shepherd outside. As she was opening the kennel she warned us that she might come over to us but that we should just push her down. This was enough to freak me out but there was nothing I could do. She opened the kennel and the dog went crazy. It jumped onto the couch that I was sitting on and started barking and attacking me. It was practically eating my hair and it scratched my face and was on top of me and there was nothing I could do. I really thought I might die. She tried to get it off of me but the stupid dog was so big and Pat couldn't get control of it. She finally started to get it off and was trying to lead it outside when it jumped back on me and started again. Then it went over to Sister Salabao for a minute and then came back to me. Luckily it never actually bit me. But it tangled my hair and it got slobber on Sister Salabao's coat and my hair. And it was just so, so awful. I really hate dogs. She was really apologetic. I hope Heavenly Father is proud of me because I was able to get through that whole stupid ordeal without crying. We had a good Restoration lesson though at least. All is well.
This week multiple people have told me that I'm crazy to believe in the Mormon faith. They've told me that Joseph Smith was a con man. That the Bible is the only true book, etc. This morning I was reading The Testimony of Joseph Smith and the Introduction to the Book of Mormon. It is pretty miraculous... the fact that Joseph Smith was visited by the angel Moroni and was able to translate the Book of Mormon. But God is a God of miracles and I know that Joseph Smith did not lie. He saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in a grove of trees. He was visited by the angel Moroni. He was able to translate the Book of Mormon through the power of God. The Book of Mormon is true. It brings peace and happiness to our lives. The best thing is that we don't just have to take his word for it. We can pray and find out for ourselves if these things are true. It breaks my heart when people are so close minded, but I know that we are doing the Lord's work. The gospel is simple. It's true. It brings joy. God is real and He loves us. The Savior performed the Atonement and He lives. Life is great! Love you all!
Love,
Sister Veronica White

No comments:

Post a Comment