Monday, January 6, 2014

Miracles!!!

 
Talofa family.
So Satan's mouth must really be hurting. This week was incredible. We've done a lot of kicking to his stupid teeth.  Probably one of the best weeks I've ever had as a missionary. There were just so, so many miracles. Heavenly Father is so aware of us and our area and He loves us and these Samoans that we are working with. Oh my, where to even begin?
First off, let me tell you a few nonspiritual things. I have had NO fried chicken the last week. Actually since the time we had it four nights in a row. Heavenly Father answers prayers. Because I prayed for no more fried chicken and I haven't had to gag any of it down lately. Thank goodness. Also, I'm a bit of a freak. We were talking to this Samoan man who was outside. Usually we can't get into his house because he has these huge Beware of Dog signs and the dog is ready to eat us and is super scary. But he was outside so we talked to him for a little while. Then as we were leaving we turned the corner around his fence and the dog barked so loud and jumped on the fence and I screamed like a little girl and jumped so high. It was so embarrassing. And earlier in the week I freaked out at someone's dog too. He had just woken up but he let us in. So I was the last one in because I was taking off my shoes and as I walked through the door the dog came up to me and started touching my hand which made me do this weird little scream thing. Sister Whetten started laughing at me. The guy wasn't very amused. I told him I was really sorry. Anyway, come to find out that the dog only had three legs. Oh my. I'm a horrible person. And so embarrassing.
 
Ok, so I think I told you about Jubi last week, yeah? He's amazing! Well we went back to his house to meet with him. He was gone but we met someone named AJ. He's twenty years old and is so prepared for the gospel as well. I just seriously love that house so much. He was so sweet and humble. And so interested in hearing about the gospel. I just love him so much! He was really excited to come to church on Sunday. Sadly, he didn't make it. I'm not sure what happened because he was really solid on coming. But we're going over there tonight. We're going to try and set up a church tour with him and teach him more this week.
 
We've been getting a lot of referrals lately. It's such a huge blessing. I think I've gotten more referrals this transfer than my last four transfers combined. And the great thing is that they are for this area. We can actually go and contact them and get a hold of them. Well, at least try to :)
 
We had a really powerful teaching experience with Juliann. She's the one who I met in the summer who was leaving for college and then she's been home the last few weeks from college. We had wanted to baptize her before she left. We feel that she was so, so ready and that we did everything in our power to help her. But it was her decision and she decided that she wanted more time. But all is well. We're going to get her address and refer her to missionaries over there in college. But anyway, we had the most amazing teaching experience. I don't know if I've ever felt the power of the Holy Ghost working through me and my companion more than I did that night. Literally I felt the presence of the Savior there. He was laboring alongside us. (Jacob 5:72) I can't even express in words just how amazing it was. He was there. He was with us. The Holy Ghost is real. I'm so grateful to get to be a vessel for the Holy Ghost to work through as I do my best to be a diligent and worthy missionary.
 
A few other miracles really fast. The elders had an investigator, Solomona, that they were working with over the summer. The address that they had written down didn't make any sense. But the other day we were driving and Heavenly Father led me right to it. It was such a miracle. So we found his house and we're going to try back later this week! Also, we met another new investigator named Emile. We were trying a potential and she wasn't home. So we were walking back to our car and Fui was with us. She pointed out that he was Samoan so we started running after him. It was slightly awkward but we had a great discussion about the Book of Mormon and we're going back over there later this week. I'm so excited!

 Also, speaking of chasing Samoans. Sister Whetten and I were driving to a potential on Pac Highway, one of the main roads when we saw two Samoans. We were already running late so we decided to keep going. But then I felt really strongly that we needed to turn back around and go to them. So we flipped around and parked the car and started running after them. Their names are Frank and Anthony. They're in their twenties. They believe in God but they told us right now that they are worldly. They know eventually that they will come back to God but right now they feel like they have one foot pointed towards God and the other in the world and that right now the world is winning. He was saying that he's done some bad things and lived a sinful life. All while smoking. We talked to them for a little bit and asked what was keeping them back from getting rid of the world. How time is a precious gift and he's wasting his time and how God wants him to be happy and the only way to be happy is to line his will with God's. It was so good. They just barely moved from Hawaii and right now they're living in a motel. But we got their phone number. They were also supposed to come to church but sadly didn't. I don't know what the deal is with church attendance! But all is well. We'll talk to them this week.

There was one day this week that it was freezing cold and pelting rain. I started talking to this man on the street who was walking so fast to get out of the rain. So I was running along side him basically yelling at him about the Book of Mormon because the street was so loud. It was so cold and my tights and shoes were soaked and the rain was beating down on my face and I was running to keep up with him and it was one of the happiest moments ever! It just felt so good! I felt like such a missionary. Ah, I just love missionary work so much! The cold, rainy days are actually sometimes my favorite. haha. I'm weird.
 
We had so many more miracles as well. New investigators. Even older Samoans who were willing to talk to us. Usually old Samoans are so hard because they're so stubborn and set in their own church. But there was this old couple who was really nice to us. There was definitely a language barrier but we are going to go back and bring someone who can speak good Samoan. And the Siufanua family, a less active family, actually answered the door this week and was strangely excited to me. They were really nice. Usually they aren't. Seriously Heavenly Father has just been performing so many miracles. People were so nice to us this week. And interested. It's been incredible. I can't even put into words how great I feel! Missionary work is just the best. It is the Lord's work and He loves us.
Transfers are happening next week and I'm really nervous. I've been here so long that I feel like I will be transferred. But I want one more transfer here. Things are really starting to pick up. We're actually getting a teaching pool. Things are just so great. Which is why I think Heavenly Father might transfer me. I'll put so much hard work into this area and then as soon as things are amazing I'll have to leave. But whatever happens, all will be well. Heavenly Father knows us and loves us. This gospel is so true. Read your scriptures and CTR!
Love you all!
Love,
Sister Veronica White

No comments:

Post a Comment