Monday, July 7, 2014

What A Week!

























Hello Family,

Well this was quite the busy week. First off, Sister Dobbins and I are back to being companions--just the two of us. (Yes, Savannah. I just started singing the Will Smith song in my head for a sec. Then I repented and started singing a hymn. If I'm going to sing a Babylonian song I don't want to waste it on that one.) 

This week was good. We had a really good Mission Leadership Council. This time it included all the Zone Leaders, Sister Training Leaders, and District Leaders. The meeting was really good and I just have such a strong desire to go out and be the best missionary I can be. I really love President and Sister Choi. Our goal this month is to have 100 baptisms in the month of July. Last month that was our goal. We reached 42 baptisms which is the highest the mission has achieved in a really long time. So we just have to keep working hard and reaching our High Expectations and continually improve. We only have five companionships this transfer... so, tender mercy of the Lord! 

We are meeting with Blanca again. We taught the Restoration and it went really well. The Spirit was so strong. We're just trying to help her see the connection between The Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith being a prophet and how there is one true church. She is so kind. I really love her. Keep her in your prayers please. And Jina too! We weren't able to meet with her last week but hopefully this upcoming week. 

One other funny story from this week. So last night the Samoan ward had a triple baptism. We had an investigator, Tyler come to it. I met him on the street and we had a little mini lesson. He came to a church tour the next day but he was super high so he left early. Since then we've texted him and invited him to a few things. Anyway, he came to the baptism last night. So did President and Sister Choi. It was really awkward because Tyler was asking some really weird questions to me... uncomfortable questions. Like I was terrified he was going to try and ask me on a date. Anyway, after the baptism we were in front of the church and we were saying a prayer. President and Sister Choi walked out in the middle of our prayer. And then Tyler went in for the hug! Ah!!!! I've had some creepy people try and hug me on my mission.... but not in front of my mission president! Sister Dobbins was like: Oh, we just shake hands. It was so awkward. I'm just destined to have forever awkward situations. It's fine. 

Oh, and one more story. Fourth of July in the Heights (my apartment complex.) Well no one there speaks English anyway, but it was quite the adventure. Sister Dobbins and I did a lot of praying and no sleeping because everyone was lighting off fireworks. But no one used their brains. The buildings are all really close to each other. There was this group of teenagers who were lighting aerial fireworks on the ground between two buildings and a big tree. They'd light it and then yell and run away as fast as they could. It was so dangerous and stupid. It got so bad that we called the police. Anyway, about fifteen or twenty minutes later we see this huge group of teenagers running around the corner swearing and yelling, "Police, police!" Then they started hiding in the bushes next to our complex. It seriously felt like something out of a movie scene. So the bad news is we didn't get any sleep that night. It was so loud. The good news is that we didn't burn to death in our beds.  

I want to share something with you from President Eyring. I printed it out last week. I'm not sure if it's from the Ensign or what but it's titled "Come Unto Christ." So good! You should look it up on lds.org and read it. Anyway, at the end it says, "By helping others come unto Him, you will find that you have come unto Him yourself. If you want to be near Him, to feel His peace, you can do it best in His service." I loved this so much! It is so true. The last year has been about helping others come unto Christ. And I know without a doubt that in the process I have come unto Christ in the process. I have been so blessed from serving a mission. My faith in Jesus Christ has been so strengthened. I have felt His peace and been near to Him as I have served. And it's a feeling that we can all have. It's not just something we get to feel as missionaries. As we serve our brothers and sisters we will have the Spirit more fully in our lives. We will be happie

Love,
Sister Veronica White

No comments:

Post a Comment