Monday, September 15, 2014

Prayers Please!

Hello family,

Another incredible week. I just don't even understand how everyday is such a good day. Again, I can't even count all the miracles so I'll just share a few. 

First off, Blanca! She is getting baptized on the 20th. This SaturdayTuesday night we went and had a lesson and it was one of the most spiritual lessons ever. She picked the date herself. She has so much faith and courage. She was talking to her Mom on the phone about how she made the decision to be baptized and her mom told her not to, that they were Catholic and that was the true church. But Blanca stood up for herself and shared how happy The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints makes her. She's overcome a lot of opposition to get here. But as we sat in her home Tuesday night my heart was so full as I looked at her. She is so happy and light. It's like a weight has been lifted off her. The Atonement and the gospel does amazing things for people. It changes lives. She bore her testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Plan of Salvation. It really was one of the happiest moments of my mission. I've been working with her for five months. I love her so much and to get to be a part of her making this important step in her life... I am just so humbled. I feel very blessed. Please keep her in your prayers. Satan will really be trying to work on her this week. But I know if we all exercise our faith and prayers on her behalf she will be strengthened. And she has so much faith as well. Prayers can do amazing things. At the end of the lesson we were leaving and Sister Nelson and I told her that we love her. She said she loves us too and that we are "[her] daughters in Christ." It was one of the cutest things ever. 

Also, please pray for Brandon. We weren't able to meet with him during the week because he's so busy with school and everything but we saw him yesterday. He still feels like he hasn't received an answer about the Book of Mormon and he doesn't want to be baptized if he doesn't know for sure. We talked about faith and really tried to follow the Holy Ghost to teach according to his needs. The lesson went well and I know that he can receive an answer about the Book of Mormon because I know the Book of Mormon is true.

I'm so grateful for the Holy Ghost. This work wouldn't be possible without it. I'm learning the balance of wanting improvement out of myself and pushing myself to be better versus being self-critical and thinking I'm a horrible teacher. I tend to lean toward the latter. If one of my gators doesn't make a connection or doesn't want to meet with us anymore I feel like it's all my fault. I immediately start thinking of all the things I should have done better in the lesson, etc. And of course there is always room for improvement... there's always things we could do better because we are imperfect. But last night as I was praying I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father was listening to me and I was comforted by the Holy Ghost as I realized that my gators have to receive opposition. There has to be a bit of struggling. And while I know I need to be better, Heavenly Father is proud of me for what I'm doing and He knows that I'm TRYING so hard. I hope this made sense. It just strengthened my testimony that Heavenly Father is aware of us and He loves us. As we put forth the effort to read our scriptures and offer sincere, heartfelt prayers, we will receive guidance and direction because we are important to Heavenly Father. 
Just a few last miracles. They have to do with timing. Timing is so important in missionary work. One night we had a member with us and we were driving to Pratap's. He's from Nepal. Sister Nelson met him on exchanges and we haven't had contact for a few weeks. Well we pulled up right as he was leaving and were able to have a great lesson outside and set up a return appointment. If we had been a few minutes earlier he would have been getting ready to leave and probably told us he didn't have time to talk. If we had been a few minutes later we would have missed him. Heavenly Father's timing is so perfect!

Another timing miracle. We had just finished tracting with a member and we were on our way to Blanca's, but we had a few extra minutes. We saw this man walking. When we went up to talk to him he was very not interested in talking to us and kept walking. So we walked alongside him. His name is Michael. He told us how he was brought up Catholic and now he's an atheist. We bore our testimony to him about how God loves him and how he can know for himself that God is real. The most amazing thing happened. His heart softened so much. We sang "I am a Child of God" and prayed. His entire countenance changed. And we have a church tour set up for later this week! 

I just feel so blessed to be a missionary. I love it so much. There are no words to describe it. I know that Heavenly Father is aware of each one of us. He knows us has a plan for us. This is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. The Priesthood has been restored. Prayer is powerful. Please keep Brandon and Blanca in your prayers this week! I love you!

Love,
Sister Veronica White

No comments:

Post a Comment